Many changes have been made in the CA Course, according to ICAI New Scheme 2023. These changes have been proposed for all three levels, i.e- CA Foundation course, CA Inter course and CA Final course. This revised scheme also has a few changes made to the practical training of three years. In this revised scheme, a few sections have been removed, few have been merged and few new changes have been introduced.
So, scroll further to have a detailed understanding of the ICAI new proposed scheme.
ICAI New Scheme Details
In the ICAI new exam pattern, the below mentioned changes have been made.
|CA Course Level
|CA Foundation Level
|4 Subjects ( 2 subjects removed)
|CA Intermediate Level
|Total 6 papers (3 in each group)
|CA Final Level
|Total 6 papers (3 in each group)
|Articleship Period reduced to 2 years(Previously it was 3 years)
ICAI Foundation New Syllabus
Have a look at the difference between the old CA Foundation course structure and the newly proposed scheme by ICAI. However, the changes made to CA Foundation registration, CA Foundation syllabus, CA Foundation exam pattern are all listed according to the CA Foundation new scheme.
|Proposed Changes by ICAI in the CA Foundation Course
|Old CA Foundation Course
|Students must have passed 10th board
|No exact number of attempts for the CA Foundation course.
|CA Foundation validity – 4 years
|No exact limitation to the CA Foundation registration validity.
|No cut-off dates for CA Foundation registration. ICAI can conduct three exams in a year
|There were cut off dates like January 1 or July 1 for CA Foundation exams
CA Foundation New Syllabus 2023
The changes that have been proposed in the ICAI new scheme of education and training, are as follows:
- The new scheme has reduced 6 subjects and 4 papers to 4 subjects and 4 papers.
- The two subjects that have been removed by the ICAI, are:
1. Business Correspondence & Reporting
2. Business & Commercial Knowledge
- ICAI has also proposed a negative marking of .25 for every wrong answer in the MCQ answer.
- The old exam pattern had just subjective and objective type questions, without any negative marking.
- Students have to score at least 50% to pass the Foundation level now.
Above all students aspiring to start their preparations for the CA Foundation exam, can start their exam preparations with Lakshya Education and have access to the best CA Foundation classes, CA Inter classes and CA Final classes.
ICAI New Scheme 2023- CA Intermediate Level
CA Articleship Changes in the new Scheme of ICAI, 2023
Changes proposed by ICAI in CA Articleship are as follows:
- The CA Articleship duration has reduced to 2 years. Previously, the Articleship duration was 3 years.
- Students must have at least 1 year of experience in a CA firm, if they wish to practice chartered accountancy.
Now, take a look at the key highlights of CA Inter changes according to the new scheme:
|CA Intermediate New Course Scheme
|CA Intermediate Old Course Scheme
|Eligibility criteria- No changes
|Students who have passed CA Foundation and 12th board are eligible to appear in this level
|Validity of CA Inter registration- 5 years(Charges on re-validation)Re-validation allowed just once
|Registration Validity- 4 years
|Students applying for Foundation or Direct Entry Route – Mandatory 8 months study period
|Foundation Route– 8 months study periodDirect Entry Route– Compulsory practical training of 9 months
CA Intermediate New Syllabus 2023
Insights into the CA Inter new scheme of Education:
- 2 subjects have been removed from the CA Inter new syllabus.
- According to the ICAI New Scheme 2023, there will no longer be 8 papers in the syllabus. The papers have reduced down to 6.
- Paper 1 and 5 are now merged into Advanced Accounting.
- Enterprise Information Systems is removed.
- Economics for Finance is no longer included in paper 8.
- Remaining part is included in paper 6, in the name of Financial Management and Strategic Management.
- Paper 2 of CA intermediate will be only about the Companies Act.
- In the ICAI new scheme 2023, there will be 2 groups of three papers in the CA Intermediate Syllabus.
- Business Law is now a part of the CA Foundation Level syllabus.
Read our detailed blog on Preparation strategy to Ensure high scores in CA Intermediate Group 1
ICAI New Scheme Exemptions and Passing Criteria for CA Intermediate Level
Changes made by ICAI in the CA Intermediate exemptions and passing criteria are mentioned below. Students can also approach the experts at Lakshya Education to have further clarifications.
- 30% MCQ questions for all the papers of CA Intermediate exam.
- Negative marking of .25.There was no negative marking in the previous scheme of CA course.
- According to the CA Inter exam pattern, if a student scores 60% in one or more papers in a single attempt, exemption of papers for immediate next three attempts is allowed in the intermediate level of CA.
- ICAI will be entertaining the exempted papers of CA Intermediate as permanently passed, after the new scheme. But students have to clear the rest of the papers with 50% marks individually.
Students willing to surrender the exempted papers are allowed to do so, only after three attempts.
Changes in the CA Final Course under the New Scheme of ICAI
|CA Final New Course Scheme
|CA Final Old Course Scheme
|Eligibility for Admission
|Same as the previous course structure.
|Students who have passed both groups of CA Inter exam and completed integrated course on information technology and soft skills
|10 year validity (Re-validation permitted with prescribed fee)
|Eligibility for Exam
|Completed advanced ICITISS course Completed six months after the practical trainingQualified the four self paced online modules
|Completed advanced ICITISS course and 2.5 years of practical training
Students have to clear the four sets of self paced modules to sit for the CA Final exam. SET A, SET B, SET C and SET D sets are divided. All these sets include the following subjects:
- Economic Laws(Compulsory set)
- Strategic Cost Management and performance evaluation(Compulsory set)
- Specialization Elective
- Incorporating multidisciplinary approach envisaged in NEP,2020
According to the CA Final new scheme, students have to score more than 50% in each module. Both the compulsory papers have been deleted from CA Final old course. In the remaining sets, students can choose their respective topics and then take their preparations forward.
- CA Final papers have been reduced from 6 papers from 6 papers, in the CA Final syllabus.
- Subjects in paper 4 and 5 will be removed and added in self paced modules as compulsory sets.
- Elective subjects like Risk Management and Financial services are now included in the Set C of self paced modules.
In the new CA Final exam pattern, papers will have 30% MCQ based questions and there will be negative marking on every wrong answer. Also, there was no negative marking in the previous scheme of CA.
The CA final exemption rules are the same as the CA Intermediate exemption rules.
To know the CA Final Exam May 2023 dates we have written a detailed blog.
Lastly, this new scheme proposed by ICAI, shall be beneficial to all the students aspiring to build grounds in International markets, but students might face challenges in the process of understanding these new made changes. Therefore, students seeking assistance or needing help in their CA preparations, can get every bit of guidance from Lakshya Education.